The Death of Charles IX: Autopsy and Aftermath

p7

Charles IX: the Regency of Catherine de' Medici and the First Wars of Religion (1560-1574) · RENAISSANCE

The death of a twenty-three-year-old king, in a kingdom already gnawed at by rumours and plots, could not fail to arouse suspicions of poisoning — suspicions the crown chose to dispel through a gesture rare for the time: the autopsy of the royal body.


🔬 Ambroise Paré’s Autopsy

As early as the day after Charles IX’s death, which occurred on 30 May 1574 at Vincennes, rumours began to circulate accusing Catherine de’ Medici, or even her son Henri, the direct beneficiary of the succession, of having poisoned the young king. To cut short these speculations, an autopsy was performed the very next day, on 31 May 1574 at four in the afternoon, at the château of Vincennes itself, in the presence of the king’s first physician Mazille and first surgeon Ambroise Paré — the same figure who had accompanied, for decades, the medical life of the court, from the siege of Metz under Henry II to the deathbed of the dying king of Navarre at Rouen. The examination concluded on pleurisy following tuberculous pneumonia, characterised by the fever, cough, chest pains, and expectorations the king had suffered from in his final months — a diagnosis that, without entirely extinguishing the most persistent rumours, allowed the theory of poisoning to be officially dismissed.


🏛️ A Tomb Never Completed

As early as 1559, in the wake of Henry II’s death, Catherine de’ Medici had commissioned Primaticcio to design a circular funerary chapel intended to house her family’s tombs, a few steps from the basilica of Saint-Denis: the future Chapel of the Valois. But Primaticcio died in 1570 before construction had begun; architect Jean Bullant took up the project from 1572, without managing to complete it either before his own death in 1578, construction then not exceeding the first storey. Carried on as best it could by Baptiste du Cerceau, the project was definitively abandoned in 1585, leaving Charles IX — like several of his kin — to rest without the monument his mother had envisioned for the dynasty. The unfinished rotunda, left abandoned, fell into ruin before being dismantled in 1719; the tomb of Henry II and Catherine de’ Medici that it housed at its centre was then repatriated to the basilica itself, where it stands to this day after a detour to the Museum of French Monuments at the time of the Revolution.


🧠 Key Takeaways

  • 31 May 1574: autopsy of Charles IX by Ambroise Paré at Vincennes, to refute rumours of poisoning
  • Official diagnosis: pleurisy following tuberculous pneumonia
  • The Chapel of the Valois, commissioned by Catherine de’ Medici from Primaticcio as early as 1559 to house her family’s tombs, was never completed despite the project being taken up again by Jean Bullant from 1572
  • Abandoned in 1585 and left in ruins, the rotunda was dismantled in 1719; the tomb of Henry II and Catherine de’ Medici it contained joined the basilica of Saint-Denis, where it remains today

Next zoom: Culture and the Arts under Charles IX.