Henry IV, King of France and Navarre: the pacification of the kingdom and the Edict of Nantes (1589-1610) · RENAISSANCE
The peace regained after 1598 allowed Henry IV to launch, in Paris and in several towns of the kingdom, a programme of great works that remains associated with his reign as much as his military victories. Far from the splendour Louis XIV would deploy half a century later, this “Henry IV” style — pragmatic, sober, resolutely useful — transformed the face of the capital for good.
Begun under Henry III in 1578 then interrupted by the Wars of Religion, the Pont Neuf was resumed from 1599 and solemnly inaugurated in 1607. 238 metres long and 20 wide, it broke radically with medieval bridges by dispensing entirely with houses on its deck, offering Paris for the first time unobstructed views over the Seine as well as pavements protecting pedestrians from the traffic of carriages. Its 385 sculpted mascarons, depicting grotesque faces, became one of the capital’s curiosities, before the famous equestrian statue commissioned by Marie de Médicis from the Florentine sculptor Pietro Tacca was erected there in 1614, four years after the king’s death.
On the site of the former Hôtel des Tournelles, destroyed after Henry II’s accidental death in 1559, Henry IV also had the Place Royale — today’s Place des Vosges — laid out from 1605, the first Parisian urban ensemble conceived according to a plan of complete architectural harmony: uniform façades alternating brick and stone, arcades sheltering shops, a central garden planted with trees. Completed in 1612, under the regency of Marie de Médicis, it immediately became a prized residential address for the nobility and the wealthy bourgeoisie, as well as a favoured setting for court ceremonies and tournaments.
At the Louvre, Henry IV continued the expansion begun under his predecessors by completing the Grande Galerie running along the Seine, which now linked the palace to the Tuileries, while his favourite residences — Fontainebleau, where he had the Cour du Cheval Blanc laid out, and Saint-Germain-en-Laye, fitted with terraced gardens innovative for the time — received continuous embellishment. Away from the capital, several new towns were founded according to regular geometric plans, such as Charleville in the Ardennes or Henrichemont in the Cher, while the Gobelins manufactory, established in 1601 on the banks of the Bièvre, quickly gained a European reputation for its tapestries.
This architectural programme served a clearly political ambition: to show, through stone as much as through arms, the return of peace and prosperity after the destruction of the civil wars. Court painting, illustrated by the School of Fontainebleau and by the official portraits intended to spread the sovereign’s image throughout the kingdom, took part in the same enterprise of representation — a measured patronage, in keeping with the reign, which always favoured the useful over the sumptuous.
Back to the main chapter